This Action Alert has been updated to include the witness list and link to the live webcast of today’s hearing.
There is an attack on the Americans with Disabilities Act in the 112th Congress. It is time to fight for your rights. Tell Congress: Stop the Attack on the ADA Now!
On March 16, Representative David Schweikert (R-AZ) introduced H.R. 4200, “To Amend the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990”. On March 26, Representative Mick Mulvaney (R-SC) introduced H.R. 4256, “The Pool Safety and Accessibility for Everyone (pool SAFE) Act”.
These bills will set prejudicial precedent by weakening the ADA. They also circumvent the separation of powers by eliminating the Administration’s right to execute these rules. These pool regulations are law meant to be implemented by the Department of Justice. Congress should not intervene with this process!
The House Judiciary Subcommittee on The Constitution has scheduled a hearing to discuss this legislation.
Watch the live webcast of the hearing. Please note: the webcast will not appear on this page until 15 minutes prior to the hearing.
When: Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Time: 4:30pm EST
Room: 2141 Rayburn House Office Building
The Witness List:
- Hemant D. Patel, Chairman, Asian American Hotel Owners Association
- Christa Bucks Camacho, Senior Executive Service Candidate Development Program, Social Security Administration
- Ann Cody, Director, Policy and Global Outreach, BlazeSports America
- Minh N. Vu, Partner, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Come to DC to fill the room: if you are in the area or are able to travel to DC for the hearing, please come and bring your family and friends!
- Call the Subcommittee: contact Majority Leader Representative Trent Frank (R-AZ) through the Subcommittee office (202-225-2825) and through his DC business office (202-225-4576) and tell him to stop supporting these bills!
- Call your representative: If your representative is a co-sponsor on either of these bills call them today and tell them to remove their name as a co-sponsor! Find out if your representative is a co-sponsor by using the Library of Congress website.
- Contact your representative online: find the representative for your state and click on their contact form to submit your letter. In your letter, identify yourself as a constituent and urge your senator / representative to “Please stop supporting H.R. 4200 or H.R. 4256. These bills would start the destruction of the ADA as we know it!”
- Then, get your family, friends, co-workers, and other community members to act as well. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates!
For further information, contact Dara Baldwin, NCIL Policy Analyst, at 202-207-0334 or firstname.lastname@example.org.